Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Captured on Canvas
























Hendrick ter Brugghen
Melancolia
(Art Gallery of Ontario)

I was struck by this painting at the Art Gallery of Ontario.  I immediately thought of migraines, rather than its title of Melancolia.    The artist, Hendrick ter Brugghen has perfectly captured the mood.  The woman is in a dark room with her head in her hands.  She is looking at a skull, as though she is searching for an answer as to why this is happening to her.  The candle on the table represents the burning and throbbing pain that this affliction brings.  The flame has a red colour at its tip, which makes the emphasis and focus of that pain even more obvious.

1 comment:

  1. I too agree with your interpretation. As a previous sufferer of Migraines I totally understand. I would add that the skull is a foreshadowing. Cluster headaches that my father suffered for many years are also called suicidal headaches by neurologists for a reason. Thankfully with a tightly controlled wake /sleep cycle mine have left. Hopefully never to darken my room again

    ReplyDelete