Tuesday, February 17, 2015

To Quote Sinatra....

.
I've given up making New Year's Resolutions because, frankly, it's just embarrassing.  I could just save myself the trouble and recycle the list.  It's an albatross that sits in my notebook of things I mean to do...of things I NEED to do and don't get done.  There's many activities I've wanted to do which I've given up on, thanks to my migraines.  I've lost touch with people, and for that I have tons of guilt.  I know I'll never get to Europe.  Why put out that money if I might throw up the entire time?
.
Two years ago I challenged myself and did something called "The Edge Walk."  I had taken the train across the country with a friend and he had proposed it.    They strap you into orange prison jump suits, a harness and put you atop  the world.  You then walk outside of the CN Tower in Toronto.  At one point you lean over backwards and moon the city (sort of).
.
.
.
.
In case you're thinking about artificial means of confidence, forget having a few drinks before you do it.  They run a scanner over you to ensure there's no alcohol or drugs on your person.  They don't mess around.  In the elevator ride up I kept hoping I wouldn't be the fool that had to take the ride of shame back down.  Oddly enough, as soon as I stepped out on that metal walkway, I let go of the guide rope and enjoyed the view.
.
This last September, we went to the East Coast to visit a friend.   There had been talk of sky diving.  That's something that had never crossed my mind as a venture  I'd do.  Trust me on that one.  However, when we got there, the date had been set and I wasn't about the wimp out, especially since there were two current co-workers and one ex-coworker  present.  I had a reputation to maintain!
.
.
.
Yes, jumping like that makes for a nice shot of ones nose.  
.
The day was perfect and the scene on that late September day could not be beat.  As the plane went up I was given a bit of a geography lesson by the instructor from the Atlantic School of Sky Diving.  It was a tandem jump, as I had never done it previously.  The trees were changing colour and all around was the sea.  As I said, I never thought it was anything I'd do, but even if a person doesn't like heights, it's just too gorgeous not to look.
.
The jump was from 10,000 feet and Dave had given me very easy instructions to follow.   I have to admit that it had crossed my mind that fear could wipe it clean, but there wasn't an issue.  I still remember the steps to this day.  I even had my feet in the proper position and I landed on them...not on my ass (although there's enough padding that it probably wouldn't have hurt, but that's another story).   Dave is one of the most well thought of instructors and jumpers out there---any where, in fact, ---so I was honoured to have him.   If I recall correctly he has been jumping since l975.
.
(Here's a shot of my co-worker doing the jump)
.
.
What I really enjoyed is that it wasn't  just a sudden drop with the chute opening up.  There's a tumble at first and a free fall before it actually deploys.   I loved that.  I never have falling or flying dreams anymore; I've not had them since I was a teenager and I miss them.  Dave then manipulated the chute so that it swirled around in circles and I felt like the ballerina dancer atop the music box.  We caught the draft and went from side to side---it was magical.
.
Which brings me back to today.  I am thinking that this year, when the weather gets nice,  I am going to enquire about going para-gliding with somebody or asking if  there is a place near here that offers tandem ultra light flying.  Both options allow one to be aloft for a longer period.   When I was in high school I used to read Aviation Magazine because I wanted to fly.  That came to a halt when I realized I didn't like driving a stick shift vehicle.  Bungy jumping is not an option as the jarring would be too hard on my neck and migraines, but I want something that challenges me.  And hey, since I've posted it here, I can't wimp out, can I?
.
http://www.atlanticschoolofskydiving.com/
.
If you're ever in Nova Scotia and you want to try something different, or want to add that something extra to your trip, here's their  site.  I can't recommend them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment