Wednesday, April 6, 2011

PATIO LANTERNS AND AN ATV QUAD

Perhaps when the cat gets braver, I will snap a photo. You'll have to trust me when I state that he's taken to sleeping under the Quad that's parked directly outisde my back door. When it's nice, he sits atop it like a hood ornament. The owner of this quad, should he ever show up, is going to find paw prints on his vehicle.
`
So, how did this Quad come to sit there? That's the $64,000 question, or the Dear Abby dilemna of the day. My friend had been storing it in his garage for a third party for ages. Once upon a time, he'd had a large house with all of the things that go along with being a "guy." That was prior to an ugly divorce, when he had to readjust his life to a small apartment, with thieving tenants and limited storage space. My friend stepped up to the plate, and his garage became available. Then, my friend moved and the Quad had to find a new home. My back patio was going to be a temporary rest stop.
`
I've had things turn up in my yard before. Actually, the quad was being protected by a very expensive car tarp that just blew into town. Not wanting to claim something that I didn't own, I sat it on the fence for months, hoping that the owner would take it away. I began to feel like a gypsy encapment, so I took it down at last. When the ATV Quad arrived, a new use for the tarp was found.
`
A huge competition sized trampoline once blew into my backyard; right over the neighbour's fence, at that. It somehow managed to land on its feet. There it sat, and sat, and sat...until the next windy night picked it up and crumpled it like kleenix into my compost box. I feel as though I live in some odd vortex of gathering storms. The westcoast is not known to be like this, but my little town is an anomoly. While Vancouver can be fairly mild, we can have -35 wind chill at the same time.
`
So, what to do? I suspect it will suffer the same fate as my exercise equipment. It will store drying clothing. I will somehow have to incorporate it into my summer theme. I will have to afix it with pink flamingos. Perhaps I will rest them on the seat and put Harley logos on them. I will festoon the vehicle with little coloured Chinese lanterns. I am fairly certain that it won't be moving anywhere. I suspect that he forgot where it was moved to.
`
On the bright side, at least the stray is a male cat. Otherwise, he could be dealing with a litter of kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment