Monday, May 18, 2015

A Positive Change at Work For Once

When I left work the other morning, there was a rainbow flag at the entrance.  I was explaining this to my buddy in the prairies, who had called to lament the sudden May snow storm that had coincided with the crash of his furnace.  "Times  have changed," I said, and I told him that the work site was actually recognizing gay staff.  It was a long time coming, especially for males.
.
My friend Scott tried to  assist  one of our early "out" staff.  "L" was in trouble for something he had unwittingly done prior to being hired and was not getting any  help.  Even though Scott wasn't on the union, he stepped up to help.  We had the meeting at my house.  "L" didn't really want to push the issue, as his partner was a padre in the Military.  At that time, they would still fire people if they were gay.  Thus, "L" ended up losing his job.  Since that time, the Armed Forces has come to their senses and changed their policy. A lot of the people I worked with at that time had transferred over from the military.   I used to have discussions with many of my coworkers and they would argue that they didn't want to think about it---that they would worry in the foxholes about somebody's sexuality.  Sorry.  I can't imagine if the attack is happening that anybody is going to be checking you out.
.
When I was a student I had a summer job with the R.C.M.P. as a Supernumerary Special Constable.  It was an interesting experience as I looked fifteen and had to wear a uniform.  There were only three women in the detachment, so everybody stared at me. I met wonderful people and I learned a lot.  I am forever grateful and I mean to write about it.  I did a research study that was written up in the local paper.   There was a very invasive background check, but I didn't have the  experience that one of the women did.  I could tell by her expression that she was upset by something;  we had classes together and I knew her.  I asked her what was going on.  She told me that the interviewer had asked her outright if she was "a lesbian"---his actual words.  I wasn't asked that because I had long blond hair, after all. She had short hair, so he must have had some gender stereotype in his head.  She had a boyfriend and he was really off the mark, by the way.    I should add that at this point it was legal for the RCMP to not only ask this question but to discriminate and not hire people if they answered "yes" to that question.  Need I remind people that this was for a summer job?  They also refused to hire people to be full time staff until somebody took them to court.  What was their logic?  One of my friends who has a great sense of humour suggested that back in the l950's when these guys were born  it was perhaps  thought that the stereotypical  limp wrist meant they couldn't fire a gun.  Just like women couldn't chase bad guys in high heals holding a cookie tray.
.
Ironically, there are jobs that almost  concede that a woman has to be gay.  After all, why else would she want to work in a man's job.  I know that I was asked that question.  My response was that I worked there for the same reason that men did---money.  No;  I did not hate men.  No---I did not have power and control issues.  No---I did not have anything to prove.  My sexuality was not anybody's business.  I wasn't here to date anybody.  I was here to earn a living wage, just like they were (now leave me the f@#k alone, thank you very much).
.
When people go on  about "unions"  and how there's no need for them, I look back on my experience.  There's way more that I could write about, and I will at some point.  If it weren't for them, that rainbow flag would not be at the entrance of my work site.  There would be no gay staff.  They certainly wouldn't be entitled to take off a bereavement day when their partner died.  I am well aware there's many people who feel that there shouldn't be any gay staff, but they've always been there.  They've always done a good job.  They've never demanded special rights.  They've only wanted the same benefits that straights have had that they've had to pay into.
.
I blogged about my wise eighty year old father who pulled me aside and he said, "I don't care who people love, I only care that they are good people."  I miss you Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment