Tuesday, July 27, 2010

MYSTERY FERAL---PART HAVANA BROWN?






A couple of years ago I rescued two kittens. They were already several months old and very feral. I had been feeding their mother, who was a black, short-hair. When she became pregnant again, she left the kittens in my backyard. I heard a commotion one night and I looked out. The two kittens were surrounded by five racoons. They looked at me and the open door, looked at the racoons, and back. They did this several times and as the racoons moved in on them, they made their decision. They ran into my home. It has taken some time, but they have become a member of my cat family. I was surprised when Chester took them under his wing. He's usually very jealous, but he adopted them. I am still the only human who can interact with these cats and it worries me should something happen to me. The vet told me a story of an older woman in the community who adopted ferals and did well with them. When she died, however, nobody could deal with the cats and all of them had to be put down. I had not wanted to keep these kittens, but I was told that they were too old to be tamed and were not adoptable. It took a year for Ollie, the black one, to finally make his move to come and snuggle up with me in bed. He is very playful. He will chase a toy and fetch it in the same manner that a dog will. He will return it to me. He can play for hours. All I have to do is make a "mousey" sound and he knows that it's game time. He will greet me at the door and extend his paws in the most loving of manner. He will tug at my bootlaces when I get off work, as though he is trying to pull my shoes off.
I did some research and he looks very much like Havana Brown cats. He has a long face, dark whiskers, a very playful manner. His coat is unbelieavable. I know who his mother was, but his father is up in the air. There was a siamese that I spotted in the neighbourhood, but I don't know if it was a male or female. I always thought the culprit was an orange, one-eyed tom---but who knows.
By the way, the story has a happy ending. I later caught his tramp of a mother when she had her next litter of five kittens. They were all females. They were adopted and I got her fixed. She was meant to be a catch and release, but when I opened the door, she just looked at me. She didn't leave. Her kittens were overjoyed to see her move into the house. Poe, the little gray one, still runs up to her all the time for licks. Chester has also taken to her.
So, if anybody knows anything about cat breeds, does this guy look like he could be part Havana Brown?

No comments:

Post a Comment