Monday, February 23, 2009

BETWEEN THE CATS AND THE PLUMBING IT'S NOT A GOOD DAY

THE ABOVE CARNAGE IS THE CURRENT CONDITION. THE GLASS ACTUALLY GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN THE STAIRS. THE DIRT IS ALL OVER THE RUG.


THIS IS TAKEN BEFORE THE KITTENS CAME TO STAY.................................................

It's true that no good deed goes unpunished, I guess. I took in two feral kittens that were literally left on my doorstep because the stray cat that I had been feeding left them there. She had gone and gotten pregnant again. Well, this is the thanks. The rest of the house is worse.
Then, after a terrible day at work I tried to relax in the tub. The hot water tap suddenly flew off and I had the scalding hot water hitting me full force. It's a good thing I have a high pain tolerence and fast reflexes. Needless to say, I did not relax. I managed to get the flow to stop but it's still dripping and I am trying to see if my friend can fix it. This is on top of the dishwasher that doesn't work, the vacuum cleaner that I just had to replace, the leaking steering fluid, the furnace that only wants to turn on if I mess with it (and certainly not when it's windy and cold). Oh, did I mention that I just spent 800 dollars on those kittens and an older cat with cancer?
I have a long and sad history with toilets and plumbing. It began as a child in Europe. I stepped in a puddle, or what I thought was a puddle. Had I not been holding my mother's hand I would have disappeared into the bowels and depths of the earth. A manhole cover had come off and I kept on going down. As the snow had just melted and the town was up near the Arctic Circle, it was cold. My next misadventure was in a train station as we prepared to leave. I flushed a toilet and some mainline must have blown. Suddenly, the entire washroom was filled with inches of water. It was rising quickly. Had this taken place today they probably would have thought that I was a five year old terrorist plant.
It's been ongoing. I once took part in a student exchange program in order to learn French. Upon arriving at my host family's home I had to use the washroom very badly. When I flushed the tank blew off and the water flew up and hit the ceiling.
I was once woken up by my neighbour because my sewer was backing up into my driveway. You can imagine the joy of having that occur. Everybody was gathering around to watch "the stuff" pile up.
My well went dry once and I had no water for about almost two weeks. Interestingly enough, it went dry the day prior to an earthquake as did several other wells in the area. Hmm, sounds like a topic for Art Bell and "Coast to Coast". In the meantime, just call me stinky. I happened to have water stored in empty Diet Pepsi bottles for flushing the toilet (as where I live, when the power goes out, so does the water), but you only want to boil so much water for washing.
So, that's my day....my week...my month. I have escaped into Youtube and a British MTV special and couldn't help but notice that Pete Doherty's cats are very well behaved (all 13 of them). Mmm, perhaps he's medicated them. Now, there's an idea.... Mind you, the computer's acting up too. Ughh.

1 comment: