Tuesday, February 17, 2009

THIS IS HARD



I've known for some time that I'm very much in the wrong over an issue. Yes, the person who goes on about her disdain of hypocrites finds herself in the position of acknowledging that she is allowing evil to continue. In fact, I suspect that I have a legal duty to report. By not doing so I honestly see myself as no better than the low-life who drives the get-a-way car. The accomplice after the fact.
When I was ten I met the new girl on my street. She lived with her father in a large home at the top of the lane. There were so many trees in the yard that it encased their house in permanent shadow. The air itself seemed denser. The blinds were forever drawn. Their backyard had a patio shielded on one side by a huge outdoor fireplace and chimney with landscaping which prevented anybody from seeing into the yard.
Fabiola told me that her mother had left when she was two or three, not to be heard from again. Her mother had been Spanish, which may have accounted for Fabiola's stunning and exotic looks.
But her eyes were always sad and seemed focused at times on something just out of view. Unlike most pretty girls, she seemed to want to disappear. This was made virtually impossible by the fact that she was fully developed and the only girl in our class who truly needed a bra. She was pained by the reaction her body got her.
Fabiola invited me over and it was thus that I met her father. He always seemed to be around after that and his modus operandi was consistant. The man was a pervert. He was forever trying to put his hands up my top or elsewhere. I would have none of it and wriggled away when he tried to grab me. I'd not been raised to be compliant to this sort of thing but at times it was a struggle as he would literally hide and then grab.
My friend was mortified and stressed. She told me that at her previous residence, she'd had a playmate called Pam. Evidentally, what her father had done to Pam was ongoing and "very bad". I guess Pam did not know that a person could say "no" to adults when appropriate.
I remember odd things began to occur at about this time in my own behavior. Fabiola and I once tossed a hard, metal bucket back and forth in her backyard with all the force we could muster. My mother later noticed the severe bruising all down one side of my body. Where did this need to hurt myself come from? This wasn't playing on our parts; this was pent up rage. It was also at this time that a profound depression descended upon me like those fogs of old that would beset London for weeks. I recall with clarity wanting to die. I found respite in books such as "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" and "Lisa, Bright and Dark."
Fabiola suddenly began to call herself Yvette and kept to herself. I stopped seeing her as did most people. My family moved from the area and I don't know what happened with her. I've tried to find her name in the usual search engines, but she isn't there. Given her opting to use a different name already at such a young age, I can imagine that she has no desire to be found. I had a call from somebody a few years ago and I asked about Fabiola. Sandra had not seen her, but her Dad came up in conversation. She too thought, given his moves upon her, that he was a pervert.
Thus my quandry. I've taken the courses, read the books and met the monsters. I know better. I know that people like him do not change. They enter crime cycles and become emboldened when they are not caught. I feel like I need to report him. But, if his daughter hasn't done so, will I do more harm? Or is it me I strive to protect? I know the system. I know that they will have to inform my employer and not one individual there can refrain from gossip. I have never told my parents. It would kill them. For what? The man is probably dead. Given his age, even if I provided any evidence that corroborated Pam's or Fabiolo's, he would be given the usual slap on the wrist.
I grieve for Fabiola. I know as an adult that he molested her. All the signs are there. And I see what my very brief exposure to him was like; how it seemed to have changed me. I cannot imagine the horror she faced being alone with that man every day. To this day I hate the show Kojak as he looked like Telly Savalas. To what extent can I blame the sudden change in my behavior on him? My issues with food? My reluctance to trust people? My forays into self injurying? There were no hints of any of these problems until I met that man.
I hunted out of yearbook from Grade 8; the last year I knew her. I hope she made it and didn't fall into the usual pitfalls that so many girls exposed to these monsters become encased in.
She was so smart and had so much promise. And I hate that all these years later I am still somehow weighing the options because of his behavior.

4 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel. I work with a woman who is married to a pervert too. He had sex with her teenage neice, and when he was busted he did time. He's been out for awhile but the problem is, the building I work in has a WIC office in it. And this creep shows up in our office from time to time to pick up his wife's paycheck. I often feel compelled to call the police to report it, but at the same time I don't want to make any waves over it.

    You see I'm really the only who has expressed outrage and disgust over it. Everyone else seems to be fine with it. And some even defend him a little too. A few weeks ago he was having some problems and his wife said that "He's having fantasies but that's not against the law." I about hit the roof over that because I know it means he wants to find another victim.

    Why do people, women especially choose to be uneducated when it comes to child molesters and their MO? What pains me the most is I would report him but fear karamic retribution... I know what it felt like when people got into my business. I'm a coward I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad to think that these women are so desperate to be with somebody that they'll overlook a "little something" like child rape. Hell, if somebody so much as hurt my cat they'd be out the door in a minute. No rationalizations or justifications. That Intervention show on A@E gets to me as every single one of the mothers breaks down and starts to cry and finally admits that their daughter told them about the abuse and they didn't believe them. Or opted to look the other way as they wanted to keep Mr Meal Ticket. Women in an office environment can be awful to work with. I can only imagine what would happen if you said anything. Then there's the threat of a law suit. Sadly, it isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all thank you for your comment on my blog, I wrote an answer after the comment but I do not know if you have had the time to read it yet? I am very interested to know more about what you wrote.

    A comment on THIS IS HARD;

    One of my Scottish friends was only 8 when her friend and neighbour 12 year old Moira Anderson, disappeared from the small town of Coatbridge near Glasgow in 1957.Moira has never been seen since.

    She friend made a terrible discovery, she had "forgotten" things from her childhood, and when she started to remember she discovered to her horror that her father had been a notorious child-abuser. When she started to find out the truth, even if it was against her families will!

    Sandra Brown wrote the book "Where there is evil" and she also founded the Moira Anderson Foundation”tackling childhood sexual abuse Together"

    http://www.moiraanderson.org.uk

    By doing this Moira will never be forgotten, and it is so important to break the silence, and spread the word so that what has happened and still happens is out in the open!

    I believe that Injustice must be made visible and that we can make a change by sharing experience and knowledge and good advices to help others.

    I believe that the main problem with reporting, speaking out, and take a stand to what is happening, is that it takes a lot of courage from the person that speaks out and want to fight for Justice, to do so, "and bless those who do speak out" they are the ones that can stop what is happening and make a change. It can lead to, that the person that is abusing, can not do this in "the dark" anymore.
    Some people might be angry when the truth is out in the open, and even defend the abuser from what is said/reported. In some cases the people around that is turning a blind eye have also gathered up against the one that have raised her/his concern, and even been attacked.
    The attacks have been both verbally but also physically, in one case the attackers, some members of the abuser's family through stones at the windows at the house where the person who reported the abuse lived. It seems like it is some kind of protective behaviour for "their own" "real life" "fear for what can happen to them" when people turn a blind eye to Injustice and in some cases the family even deny what is happening even if they have Facts documentations, photo's statements etc presented to them.

    As a little girl I was so badly beaten by my own mother, both verbally and physically, at one occasion after she had abused me very brutally I managed to open the door, and run out in the snow, the wounds on my body painted the snow red when my mother came out after me, grabbed me by my hair and dragged me inside again to beat me even more until I passed out.

    Years after I spoke with one of the neigh boroughs about the abuse, and she said that she saw many things from her window, and she over heard the beating through the thin walls.......but on my question why she did not report this she only looked at me with sad eyes and asked me for forgiveness....she was to afraid to report my mother to the police, she was afraid what my mother would do to her! I reminded her that I was only a small child, but she replied that she had to think about herself, and what was best for her since she lived there in her apartment and she was not prepared to move.

    When I said good bye to her, I had given her the forgiveness that she so badly needed, since all that have happened to me have made me to a better person, and I wanted her to get peace in her mind. I understood her fear for my mother, even if I never will understand that she did not did everything that was possible to rescue that little girl/"me". I have grown up to become a person that stands up and speaks my heart out and it has not been easy. It has been hard! But every time that I help some one, it feels like I am helping myself to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your response. I have been working nightshift and only just saw it as I have not been sleeping well. It is brave of you to share your story. I do not have kids and I think that if a person does, they must give them the best. Some of this damage that we do is almost impossible to fix. We can never get that trust back once it is destroyed. What took place with your friend is awful. To think that people near to us are capable of doing such deeds is astounding.

    ReplyDelete