Saturday, February 14, 2009

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Just a note wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day. But remember, it's a manufactured holiday. It this is the one day of the year when people opt to go out for dinner or buy gifts, there is something wrong. People need to do that sort of thing all the time. Besides, one does not need to produce an actual item to prove that one cares. It is actions that count; the day to day being there. All the flowers in the world mean nothing if a person doesn't listen or isn't supportive. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong either with chosing to be single. There is such a double standard in how we view that status. Men are "bachelors" Note how the word sounds. Women, on the other hand, are "spinsters". Look at how society perceives Jennifer Annistan in comparison to any of the men on the prowl in Hollywood. Somehow, there is the hint of desperation in the way she is viewed.
There's also a double standard about the age issue. Older men constantly date younger women as a matter of course, yet if a woman does it she is a cougar.
I find it bizarre how people still think they can pry into the lives of single people. I get asked numerous times why I am single. Why I don't date. I would never take it upon myself to go up to somebody who is married and ask them why they opted to marry or have children. It's rude and insensitive. And please, don't get me started on those who feel it their business to try and set me up with somebody.
When I was involved with somebody I always told them not to get me anything on Valentines. I saw it as phony and it just made me feel awkward. I'd much rather go out for dinner on a night when it wasn't busy.
I was talking about this the other night with a male friend of mine who called from back east. We're both in a bit of a depressed funk as of late and neither one of us has chosen to be involved with anybody for our own reasons. Yet he doesn't get the questions as much as I do.
Tonight, I shall embrace my Cat Ladyness with pride.

1 comment: