Sunday, February 1, 2009

WATCH---THE BRIDGE (DOCUMENTARY)

A number of years ago, a family member jumped off a bridge. As a result of that I formed my own little CSI into death by bridge. I think people should know what happens because there's this romantic notion of floating or flying off into some painless ethereal death. The truth is far from it. I won't get into the specifics here other than in a very minor way.
The landing is akin to hitting concrete; one's organs continue to travel and are ripped from the rest of the body as they are pushed upwards. The legs sometimes compact. One does not always hit water as there may be wooden pylons below. Shoulder tears in a large percentage of bodies indicate a desperate and failed attempt to grasp back onto something.
The documentary "The Bridge" does not go into these details but looks at the human loss and waste. The people who opt to jump had friends. Voids were left. These were not humans with chronic disease or pain.
There is one person, specifically, who leaves a haunting image as he paces back and forth. I am reminded of an animal in a cage. This is an individual, I thought, who did not want to die so much, but saw no other escape to a current situation. How sad that sometimes the options we offer people in solving their problems can be so limited.
I like the fact that there is no romanticism of death; this is not Ophelia floating down the river. There is no gothic imagery. Is is life and the people left behind who must deal with the act.
The video is currently available on Youtube. If one is a fan of documentaries, as I am, I would watch it. At least have a look at the trailer. And as an individual who saw what this act does to the survivors, I would beg anybody considering such an attempt, to seek help. Unlike taking pills, you will not have the last minute option of changing your mind and calling for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment