Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PERFECT, OR ELSE FIRED.

I just read an article that a number of people are trying to get a female presenter on a children's program removed. Her offence? Not that she dresses like a tramp, or has been caught doing drugs. No. She has a stump; as in part of an arm. Those who have complained fear that she will upset the children.
Unfortunately, I suspect that most of the people complaining are probably women. Realistically, they would be the ones at home during the day to notice what constitutes children's shows. I've also noticed that this is the sort of thing that women got "wound up" about. With all the important issues out there that could take one's time, this is the nonsense that tends to get the people I term the "happy homemaker brigade" going. I must add that I have nothing against stay at home Mom's. My spleen is being emptied at those women who must have it all seemingly perfect. It must all look good. They'll dither away only about appearance and not substance. The women who will make cutting comments about others in the presence of their children and then be surprised that they grow up to be lousy humans who bully others. They'll also be honestly puzzled as to where it came from.
I hated that process in school when we had to select kids for teams. I was always in shape in elementary school; in fact, I could outrun the boys. Yet, if it was my turn to pick people for the team, I'd make sure to pick the girl who was heavy near the start. For once, I did not want her to suffer being selected last. As I had once gotten teased for my accent, I knew what it was like to be the outsider. I refused to play that game. My mere doing that garnered me a reputation for not fitting in.
Kids don't learn this junk in a vacuum. It's bad enough to be influenced by the crap on television that tells girls that dressing like a tramp and being brain-dead is good. They don't need their parents suggesting the same. Each and every time they make some negative comment on a person's looks, that's what they do. Never mind the I.Q., it's the surface that matters.
While those with physical handicaps are trying to make inroads, this is beyond the pale. Children may be curious as to why a woman has one arm. What a perfect learning opportunity. I suspect that these people are nothing but hypocrites. To suggest that they have ulterior motives--that the kids are scared, is a cover story. I doubt that they have any qualms about sending their little darlings out on Halloween decked out like a ghoul.
Sadly, it's not an isolated case. In the spring there was a story of people complaining that they didn't want to take their children to a public pool as veterans of the Afghanistan war who were using the pool as a rehabilitative tool looked upsetting. These people who had served their country and lost limbs. Yes, the thanks of a grateful nation indeed.
This is a new phenenomena. Not that long ago people expected their children to be able to handle life. My goodness, cities in Europe were being bombed daily and people made it through. Yet, we now cannot handle a less than perfect human being.
I predict that in the near future we will be able to ascertain who has money from those who don't by how they look. The good looking people will be the upper class as they can afford to fix their appearance. It was once breeding and education that marked the difference.
The fallout is coming to companies that are asking women to wear stiletto heels and makeup. High-heels can permanently alter one's bone structure and risk a slip and fall. Note the double standard that men are not being asked to "upgrade" themselves somehow. Yet.
I hope this woman keeps her job. But, I can imagine her chagrin and pain. The BBC had better not backdown to these morons who'd rather have perfect looks over a real human being who loves children.

No comments:

Post a Comment