Friday, February 27, 2009

STOP THE BIMBO BANTER

`````At least in the 80's when we were inundated with valley-girl speak it was generally done tongue-in-cheek by anybody older than fifteen, especially if they lived further from L.A. than Downey. However, we seem beset upon by females who insist upon speaking and writing in what I have come to think of as bimbo banter. They don't understand that it is inappropriate to refrain from using this at the work site or in e-mails that reflect their intellectual comments around the world.
`````Their words du jour are "k" and "ta ta". They are oft used. The words are used in the same taunting, jeering fashion as utilized by the school yard bully. Were they before me I could only imagine the eye roll. For, you can reason with these people at about the same level as you can with the school yard temptress who sneers and back stabs. Read any e-mail commentary on a topic where a person uses these words. At some point, when pushed to actually provide sound justifications, they fall back onto the "oh, you're no fun" or "you're just jealous" "You must be fat." Were these teenaged girls, it would be one thing. These are often adult women.
`````Usually the dreaded "k" is followed by a question mark. The "ta ta" is always a way for the bimb to end a debate she cannot win. As in "I have to go out with my good looking friends now. Ta." In the meantime you know she's lurking about the computer fuming and reading the comments, not understanding the big words.
`````My male friend and I used to call these women the 3-V's (vain, vacant and vacuous). Who knew that they'd develop their own special language.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I use "k" when someone IMs me at work about something. Its just faster than typing out okay or ok. And no I am not a bimbo :)

    What I find truly irksome are the college girls who speak like this. And there are many who speak bimbonese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vent is more about the people who write like this, especially at work, and we're expected to take them seriously. Also, the people who represent themselves in a public format and blather on yet think they're profound because they're models or former Survivor contestants. How we speak, especially when it's casually and with people we know, is different. Me, I tend to stick with the "f" word, unfortunately. So much for New Year's Resolutions (about as likely as spending less money, especially on books). I'm trying to force myself to write because they stuck me on this preventative migraine medication and one of the side effects is that it's making me bad with word recall at times and it's driving me insane. The word is there but I cannot haul it out. My biggest fear come true at last...

    ReplyDelete