Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I AM DOOMED

If you could picture the famous Edvard Munch painting of the person screaming, as they cross the bridge (the one where they clasp their head), that would be me. For you see,
I am doomed. Capital D, that rhymes with P, that stands for Pool . Yes, we've got trouble... Anybody who is a fan of old musicals will get the reference.
.
I work seven shifts in a row When I last signed off, I was originally going to work my usual night shift. However, I had been switched over at the last minute for the much dreaded training. There are references made in my blog to training, of which I am not a fan. Since my school days, I have not done well when I have had to speak before people. I am shy by nature. As a child, my family moved from North America to Europe and back again. I had to relearn the English language in a few months and I was bullied horribly for my accent. I have recently been placed on Topamax for my migraines and a side-effect of that medication is that the word may be in my brain but won't make it to my mouth. It's not P.C. to say it, but I feel slow. I prefer to sit in a corner and hide.
.
Which brings me to training day. I had planned on doing my Christmas shopping after I got off my graveyard shift each day. I was already behind on everything, given the death of my father. Oops---no longer an option given I was now on Day Shift. Once upon a time, scheduling involved somebody with a pencil and an eraser. It's now several computers that don't speak to each other. I thus got phoned at midnight to enquire why I wasn't at work. After that, there was zero chance of my sleeping, even with all the Gravol I'd taken. I was cursing technology and my lot in life and that this could only be a harbinger of things to come. The rest of the week was the same. More Gravol and no sleep---none---nada. I just became more jittery and unable to function. So, as I went through the motions of "how to fall" while doing self-defence, I just wanted to keep laying on the mat. When I went into the dark, smoke filled environment looking for the dummy on fire training, I just wanted to crawl under the bed with her/it/him. There's a test on the parts of this contraption? I remember 2216 PSI. My brain isn't working. It's dark in here....I just need to sleep and I can only sleep in the day.
.
Which brings me to now. I hit my two days off and of course I ended up getting a roaring headache. On the only two days when I could go shopping. As I said, it finally went away a few hours ago, just in time to do laundry, so that I could go back to work tomorrow night for another seven. I get to work Christmas yet again.
.
The piece-de-resistance is that to get energy for that nasty week I ate and I ate and I ate. Oh, the horror!
.
People will get their gifts when I get off my shift. I will be extra generous. I plan on buying my niece a lap-top (pink) as I will combine Christmas with her birthday in January. I will be Auntie Mame.
.
And as to the training? Bah humbug to the stuff that I still have to do (the CPR and AED).

3 comments:

  1. Something I didn't say in my California post is that our daughter had a terrible cold when we were there, and now I have caught it. I have three days to prepare for Christmas and now I just want to stay in bed and sleep. I empathize with your feeling of doom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about starting another blog but I'm not sure if I will or not. I don't want it to be found by a certain person as a way of checking up on me since they're too much of a coward to contact me directly. I also fear all of my anger and depression would be too much to spew onto the internet and I might post things that I'll only end up regretting like last time.

    I'm working a double shift this Christmas so one less person has to be there. Why allow someone else to miss family time when basically I have no family or loved ones?

    I've also been suffering from daily headaches and aches and pains all around. I'm hoping this coming year will be better, but realistically I doubt it since the last 4 years have been a consecutive shit fest. But I hope 2012 will be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy---I hope you feel better. I think that travel is great but there's just something not right with that recycled air. Don't push yourself, as you will only feel worse.
    .
    Hester---I hope you don't let somebody else control your desire to write. If nothing else, get a notebook. I began doing that because of my discomfort with the Topamax and how words lodged in my head. I now find that bringing my notebook with me (in the summer) to the local garden is a great way to vent, if need be. I will also go in early for the holidays, although I am actually only paid for my shift. I did this last year also. I went in about three or four hours early each day to get somebody home with their families. I ended up getting a very nice thank-you note. Take care and I do look forward to a blog next year.

    ReplyDelete