Friday, March 13, 2015

Not Dry at all.

"Dry," is another memoir from Augusten Burroughs, the author of "Running with Scissors."  In it, he recounts how his drinking caused problems for him early in his career as an advertising executive.  Although he had found early success, it did not chase away the demons of his youth.  After being brought into the office and being given "the talk," he was provided with  an option; rehab or unemployment.  While Augusten Burroughs may have had visions of a rehab centre populated by denizens from Fire Island, it didn't turn out that way.  His witty recounting takes us from "I don't belong here," to "How will I survive without this place?"
.
Augusten Burroughs gives us a different take on the rehab experience in that he opts to go to a LGBT facility.  Sadly, many addicts in that recovery centre have a loathing of their sexuality to deal with as well as guilt over using.  Like others before him, he breaks one of the major tenants  of recovery and gets involved with somebody during his first year of sobriety.  He details how this sabotages his efforts.
.
At the same time, his best friend is fighting a losing battle with AIDS.  How anybody, especially a person in recovery choses to handle such obstacles, is a focus of Burroughs' words.  Do we use it as a reason to opt out or do we use it to make ourselves better?
.
This is a thoughtful, witty and entertaining read.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry It has taken me forever to read your blog. I'm just having a slow time of everything right now. I'm so happy that you're blogging again, I waited forever and ever for you to start up again and just gave up after a several months, I took your threat to never buy another computer after the last one died seriously. So about the book, it's one of my favorites, Burroughs is an amazing writer, too bad I leant this one and a few others by him out and never got them back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, my friend passed her old Mac onto me, haha. The internet provider is still terrible out here. I was sad to see you'd deleted your old posts. As to Burroughs, I had the DVD of "Running with Scissors" and lent it to somebody, who made off with it. And yes, there needs to be a special place in purgatory for people who don't return books. I've lost several that way.

    ReplyDelete