Thursday, March 5, 2015

This Stinks (Literally)

One of the local farms has been burning piles of wood for days.   Yesterday, the conditions were beyond the pale.  Anybody who knows me can back me up that I am not a scent-free fanatic. I enjoyed the movie "Safe" with Julianne Moore, but my read of her character was that her symptoms were psychosomatic.   I have a vast array of perfumes sitting on the counter.  I have no problem scooping up cat litter or dealing with people who have thrown up.  I lived on a farm when I was a kid, so cow poop fails to impress me.  This, however, is something else:
It's wafting over the town and can be seen from some distance.
It's actually worse at night, because it is allowed to smoulder and the air is heavier.  The smoke doesn't rise, but settles a few feet above the ground, like Tinker-Belle's slovenly, drunken alter ego.
I had to stop to refuel and from that brief encounter, my coat and hair reeked.
The sky above is clear and blue.  It's not mist or fog---it's smoke.
There's piles of burning trees that were cut down.  I actually made a complaint to the Ministry of the Environment, which I've never done before.  I have yet to hear a response.  I told them that this has to be hell for the elderly and people with breathing problems, as there are subdivisions in the area and this smoke, as you can see, is wafting all over.   This is a farm that makes claims on its web-site that it is organic.  If so, one would think that they would take better care to seek out more environmentally friendly means.  I guess it's cheaper for them, but what about the increased health care costs?   It's such a farce that the government has made us take our vehicles in for Air-Care, year after year, when there is no control over this sort of nonsense, for I see this taking place far too often in this town.  However, don't let them catch you having more then two pets.  I've discussed that by-law before.  That law they will report with a heavy hand.
Environment Canada measures weather conditions a few hundred yards up the street and as part of that, they list air quality.  Even though this burning has been going on for days, and the smoke is clearly visible and uncomfortable, here's what they posted:
.
.
Low risk.
.
I'll keep you posted if I get a response to my e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment