Saturday, January 3, 2015

Book Review: A Million Little Pieces

I purchased "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey a long time ago.  After I had bought the book, the controversy hit as to its truthfulness.  As a child I read "Go Ask Alice."  For the longest time there was much discussion as to the identity of the author.  What people seemed to miss was the disclaimer that it bore no relation to persons living or dead; the book was fiction.  Did that make it any less valuable?  I know that "Go Ask Alice" prevented many a kid from experimenting with drugs, or, at the very least, prompted parents to discuss the issue with their kids.  I suspect that much of what we read, unless it's in the History Section, is enhanced.  Please....tell me that any celebrities actually self-pen their books and that they truly did all that they claim (especially the male starts who name names of paramours).
.
James Frey has written a book that's interesting and controversial.  He challenges the standard principals of almost every single treatment facility that uses the Twelve Steps as a basis for its treatment.    My field of study was Criminology.  I've taken psychology courses and met addicts.  I've gone on to do workshops in addiction and I've written about my struggle with an eating disorder.   It's sacrilege to  refute the Twelve Steps.  Atheists and agnostics are permitted to substitute their interpretation of a higher power, if need be.  Yet, James Frey states that he has not relapsed.
.
"A Million Little Pieces" recounts the personalities met in rehab more then the actual experience of recovery.  Unfortunately, one of the characters is a woman named Lilly..  Again, this is a gross violation of standard practice, as new relationships are discouraged for at least a year.  Frankly, I agree with that and I think that the book makes the case that their encounter was hardly beneficial.  It distracts and sometimes derails sobriety.  
.
I enjoyed the book, with the exception of the repetition.   James Frey has a  writing style in which he repeats words and sentences for effect.  Like exclamation points, there is such a thing as too much.  He also miscapitalizes words.  I do it as well, especially when in a rush.  However,  publishing houses use "The Chicago Manual of Style" as their Bible and it's surprising the degree to which this technique was used.  It did not add to the story itself.
.
There are funny and poignant moments in the book.  James Frey writes of a visit by a former patient to the clinic and then describes somebody who is obviously Steven Tyler.  His recounting is very humorous.  I particularly liked  the character Leonard.
.
It's an entertaining read, although not a memoir and not a primer for recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment