Friday, January 2, 2015

Found Items - Grooming Guide for the Groomers

One of the books I've picked up on my forays is the "Standard Textbook of Cosmetology" by Constance Kibbe.  It claims to have been completely revised in l967 from its original l938 publishing date.  The inside Ex Libris shows the name of a student who attended the Moler System of Hairdressing.
.
Compare the standards and suggestions with those of today.
.
I hope we don't have to tell people to shower.  I wonder what they considered gaudy jewellery in l938 and then in l967.  Today's technicians even have piercings; there's more then a single strand of pearls decorating those eye-brows, cheeks, and tongues.  As to the recommendation that shoes be sensible, I've seen towering stilettos in salons.   I've had to sport army boots as part of my work outfit for years and can't fathom how anybody walks in them, so I think they deserve hazardous pay duty.  Stepping over electrical cords and not slipping on hair cuttings isn't as easy as it looks.  Finally, I doubt anybody under a certain age owns a pair of panty hose.  If they do, they like them with runs, as it's got that edgy look (when they're black).  Retro-Something.
.
The boys don't get off without a lesson plan.
.
The Nehru jacket is a nice touch.
.
Just in case people need to be hit over the head, the lessons are reinforced:
.
Remember!  Your mother was right...make sure to have clean underpants.
.
(Standard Textbook of Cosmetology)- by Constance Kibbe
Milady Publishing Corporation
Revised l967
Illustrations by Warren Meek

No comments:

Post a Comment