Friday, November 5, 2010

I JUST REWATCHED-PARTY MONSTER

I am not a fan of Caulkin, so I was surprised that I liked this film. It describes the killing of a well known drug dealer in the New York club scene, called Angel, by his friend Michael Alig. Michael had actually been up for parole only recently, but he didn't get out as planned. The movie is fairly true to facts, although it does change some things (for instance, Alig was picked up with a male partner, not female).

If somebody is interested in watching a documentary on this case, watch "Shockumentary," which interviews many of the real life participants. This documentary interviews the brother of the victim and captures well his grief and anguish that the police seemed to be doing nothing.

Michael Alig openly bragged for some time about having killed Angel. It became an open secret in many circles. When he was first arrested, the Feds were more interested in using his testimony against Peter Gatien, who owned the Limelight (as well as other clubs) and he may have received a slide had he not so openly talked of the killing.

What's interesting watching this film is that people so soon forget the past and comment on the originality of Lady Gaga in her costuming and songs. The Club Kids certainly were the first to have clubbing as their lifestyle.

By the way, I also like the use of this song: Scissor Sisters---Can't Come Quickly Enough. If one listens to the lyrics, it's more then a light-hearted anthem.

Culkin manages to portray the new kid in town well, one who initially rejects the ingestion of drugs. Without being heavy handed, the movie shows his decline. It does not blame his usage, however, for his behavior, which I like. In real life, Alig was highly ambitious to score in the social scene. The drugs merely allowed him to become an obviously lofty, condascending individual who didn't see that getting a free pass into all the clubs and hot parties did not translate into receiving a "Get out of jail free" card.

It is Seth Green, however, who I really liked in this film. He portrays Alig's friend; the individual who ultimately wrote the best-seller on the incident.

It's certainly not a heavy film, but I enjoyed it for the soundtrack and it has a wry sense of humour about it.

2 comments:

  1. If you haven't read Party Monster yet you really need to. I tried to get a copy under its orginal title "Disco Bloodbath" but it was over $400. I'm not made out of that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'll have to place it on my list. It's so weird how things go up in price. I had this magazine that I'd picked up at some rumage sale---old issue of Cosmopolitan. I saw that it's selling for a lot of money, all because Gia's on the cover. I paid .25 cents.

    ReplyDelete