Monday, November 1, 2010

PUTTING A HEX ON WINTER




I had to post a cheery picture to juxtapose with my mood.
~~~~~I did not hand out candy last night because I was working. Instead, I handed out a couple of forms that somebody requested, as well as an asthma inhaler and some personal items. Then I got to sit in an office where the fire alarm kept randomly ringing as they won't fix it.
`````Yes, another holiday in "The Bleak House." I actually spotted the tome (Dickens) on a book shelf. Oh, the irony.
`````This inspired me to haul out my schedule and look through it. I have the dubious pleasure of working Christmas Eve, Christmas itself, Boxing Day and New Years. I was scheduled to work my birthday, but I took it off as the prospect was just too depressing. When everybody else had celebrated the arrival of the new millenium, or the potential demise of the planet (depending on who you believed), I was at work, sitting alone. There were IT guys nearby, just in case, that year, but I doubt they'd want to give me a New Year's kiss any more then I'd want to hug them.
`````I had provided the candy to the neighbours, so that they could issue it. Each Christmas, I give the gifts to my parents early so that they can toss the loot to the right recepients.
`````It starts to get a bit depressing this time of year, as it's dark when I get home and it's dark when I wake up. I am dreading the first snowfall, as they're predicting another bad winter. I have a really difficult time with the cold. Not only do I hate it in and of itself, but the barometric change triggers bad migraines for me.
`````I really resent the "helpful" advice of the health nuts who suggest that people just get out there and exercise every day to cheer ourselves up. You just know that these are people who live in California or Florida. I live in a place where we've been known to get -35 celcius windchill. It's in some bizarre wind vortex where a river valley and a large lake meet. Those hyper-perky cheerleader types can take their exercise advice and well...you know....
`````I guess the best thing to do is just hope that the stinking snow falls on a day when I don't have to drive, I have a good book to read and a cat who wants to cuddle. As long as I don't run out of Diet Pepsi, I'm good to go.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that winter gets you down and makes you ill. When it snows I just want to hide in my house and cry. I live on a main street and its hell to find parking and to cross the street when we get bad snow falls. If its a bad winter I get depressed dealing with it all. If its an okay winter then I don't mind the cold.

    ReplyDelete