Saturday, November 27, 2010

THE BEST MOVIE ABOUT THE END OF THE WORLD


`````With increasing talk that there is a nut in North Korea who might actually be capable of using a nuclear device, I thought that I would mention this film. "On the Beach" came out in l959 and is one of the most effective anti-war artistic statements created. I have read many moving poems, heard protest songs and watched numerous films; nothing tops this one. The cast is stellar (Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins, to name a few), and the black and white cinematography adds to the ambiance. The script is top-notch, as it comes directly from the book of the same name.
`````Australia is the last place on earth with humans alive, and the nuclear death cloud is approaching. The citizens have been given a pill to take which will allow them to die in peace when the alert is given. The scene depicts the final moments in the lives of the main characters. I find that I can never think of the song "Waltzing Matilda" in the same way again.
`````There were some anti-war activists in the l960's who reported that an inspiration for them was having watched this film, which came out in l959.
`````Other good films on the topic are television movies: "The Day After" (l983) and "Testament." "The Day After" was very graphic for the time and thus very controversial. People threatened to boycott companies that advertised, as they felt they were being unpatriotic. "Testament" was made for PBS and stars Jane Alexander. It is more like a theatre production, and thus showcases her excellent acting, especially the scene in which she has to deal with the loss of her child. There were no special effects; rather, it relied on the stage presence of the stars alone.
`````If you haven't watched "On the Beach," it's a classic.

1 comment:

  1. This is another book I never read because I was in the dumb dumb English classes. I doubt I'll ever read unless forced to because of the subject matter.

    I don't like end of the world stuff, its scares me.

    ReplyDelete