Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLAYS


Somebody had posted this and I thought I'd share it. I have this on video. It's one of my favourite plays. There are certain scenes in plays or movies that never fail to "get" to me, just like specific verses in books or poems (for example, the last bit in "The Great Gatsby"). I've seen this performed live a couple of times, and this part never fails to touch me. It speaks of guilt that we cannot escape. We may try to put distance between a person we've wronged, but it doesn't go away. The "Blow out your candles, Laura", followed by the tears, is such superb acting on his part. His sister Laura, in life, had been a fragile, glass-like individual (she collected figurines, and thus the title of the play), yet her memory haunts him. For anybody who likes the theatre and hasn't seen this one, I'd really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment