Friday, August 13, 2010

SPEAKING OF MUSIC (see blog blow)






Music and smells have the ability to transport me back to a time and place; it's as though I have stepped into a time machine. If I hear the right song, I will remember exactly what I was doing, or a specific person will come to mind. Obviously, it's important for a lot of people---that's why people will speak of having "their song".


I also have songs that I cannot abide. Sure, I loathe the entire country genre. But, there are songs which are the aural equivalant of nails on a blackboard. They manage to sneak into your head, then a refrain or two will continue to repeat and replay throughout the entire day. I'm surprised nobody's ever left a suicide note: "Sorry. Only way to make the Anne Murray song in my head stop." I guess one of my top annoyance songs is "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tenille. Every once in a while I will be in a store, minding my own business and reading the ingrediants on some packaging, when this song will come on. It seems to be a favourite of soft 70's type stations. If I weren't afraid of being nailed for shoplifting, I'd probably run screaming out of there. I'm actually afraid to type the name of the next song...it had gotten stuck in my head last week because they used it in the movie "Rules of Attraction" and I rewatched it. The song is "Afternoon Delight". Check it out and you'll see what what I mean. Oh, the horror. Then, there's all the crap that they insist on playing at weddings. Why, oh why, do they always have to put on that stupid Macharena song? Is it to get video footage of people doing stupid things?


I also have this mental list of songs I would love for people to redo. These are songs that seemingly wouldn't go with the person, but I think they could put a very interesting spin on it. An example of this would be Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails covering "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles. He's put his own personal angst into that one. Another one? If you're not familiar with the l960's song by Eric Burdon and the Animals, listen to "When I Was Young." Now, think of Eminem covering it, given his admission of his past problems.

Oh yes---lemon report. I had written this then tried to post it when I was bumped off the server and got the old "Not Responding" thing.

4 comments:

  1. For me the smell of Ivory and Caress soaps always give me flashbacks to my grandparents home (unpleasant memories there). I love Ella Fitzgerald but she always brings on the happies then the sads.

    And on your previous post maybe because I was into "grunge" music as a teen and not obsessed with sex I never noticed how skanky female singers are encouraged to be. But now that I'm older and wiser I still freak out over how Miley Cyrus was pole dancing on top of an ice cream cart at last year's teen choice awards and how slutty she's become. I know if I had a young child my house would be Miley free.

    Everything at work went well today, I just work with some nice girls with very dubious natures. In other words some b word was creating drama when there was none and I got the brunt of it. But its all cool now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that it's better. Some people get off on causing drama for others. When you wrote grunge, I was reminded of a good concert I went to once. I went because of a friend. It was the opening band that I ended up really liking and they got booed---Alice in Chains (original line-up). Of all things, they were opening for Van Halen. This guy was putting all that he had into performing and people were being idiots because it wasn't something they'd heard on a top 40 station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. muskrat love! hilarious.. can't believe it was really a song on the actual radio. But.. there it was.
    Alice in Chains opened for Van Halen? Seems like someone was LOOKING for boos. What an odd pairing. no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pairing was made worse by the radio station mascot running around...a giant, stuffed fox who looked happy and cheery.

    ReplyDelete