Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A BRIEF COMMENT ON ELIZABETH EDWARDS


The news that Elizabeth Edwards has discontinued treatment is sad. I found her a class act. She's a woman who is intelligent and very much took the high road during the sordid escapades of her husband. We always hope for a happy ending, but life is not a movie, and it doesn't necessarily deliver.
I hope she manages to spend the time left as pain free as possible and with her family.
This also reiterates to me that I have to get my will in order. Years ago I wrote one out, but it wouldn't stand up, as the law now demands that it be registered. If something happened to me, I don't want extended life support. I certainly wouldn't want the decision left in anybody else's hands, either. I think it's so important to put that stuff down in writing. As funny as it may sound, I've actually spoken to various people about who would take my cats (and I theirs), if something were to happen.
When Elizabeth Edwards spoke of her illness, other women said that it inspired them to visit a doctor for checkups. That's a pretty decent legacy.

3 comments:

  1. I had two people ask me to take their cats if anything should ever happen to them. Mostly I don't think about that sort of thing, but I'm old enough now that I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that Elizabeth has passed I hope she's somewhere without pain of body, spirit and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just woke up (shift worker life), and heard the news. Very sad, especially for her children. It has to be terrible to grieve in the public eye.

    ReplyDelete