Friday, December 10, 2010

CRUISING THE PAST


The above postcard belongs to another line, but the scene was so familiar. I recall standing on the deck as we approached the St. Foy Bridge in Quebec City. I ran to get my Dad, as the optical illusion was such that I swore the top of the ship would not clear the deck. I mentioned this to my father when I was over last, and he recalled it as well. He reaffirmed that it certainly didn't look as though there was enough room.




I found this old postcard online.
`
I really should be sleeping, as I had a bit of a headache last night at work, and I had not slept well. But, I started to look for images of a ship we'd taken to Canada. I've mentioned in other posts that my family had packed our belongings into a couple of trunks and suitcases and returned to North America. It was wrenching to leave my Grandparents in Finland. I can still recall the last dinner we'd had before we left. It was a traditional fish, potato type casserole with a white sauce over it. I was given a little patent red purse, into which my Grandfather placed some candy. He did this via the magic tricks he always performed; sleights of hand so as not to notice the tears.
As an adult, I now understand how scary and difficult it must have been for my parents to move again. There wasn't much work in their homeland and North America was still the promised land. Despite the homesickness, they had to make their own way in life. I had to leave my large doll behind, which I loved dearly, and my stuffed animals. It was my first introduction to sacrifice. My parents, of course, left so much more of themselves and said good-bye forever.
The ship was a huge adventure. When I spoke of it the other day my father, ever reticent in his memories, mentioned a few things.
"The Hollywood people called us the 'Finnish Delegation," he said. I didn't know what he was talking about. I mentioned a woman who we dined with; a woman that I knew, even as a child, was very rich.
"No, not her," related Dad. "She was from South America and she even travelled with a person just to do her make-up." That's when Dad told me that there were some people from Hollywood that he and my uncle talked to and got to know on the trip. My Dad, at the time, was quite the bon vivante. Of course, he couldn't recall now who they were or what they did. Only that they had been some hot shots. It didn't matter to him at the time either; they were just some fun guys to drink with.
So, when the ship docked in Quebec and they ran into each other on shore when touring the city, the "Hollywood guys" let out the refrain:
"Ah, it's the Finnish delegation."
This, of course, is going to drive me insane. Perhaps one day I may find a passenger manifest in some hidden box at my parent's home. Of course, people travelled under their real names, too, so it might not do any good.
Dad and his mysteries.
But, I want to see if the new incarnation of this ship, The Marco Polo, has any cruises that I might get my parents interested in. They don't want to fly due to health issues. Perhaps there's a few adventures awaiting them yet.

1 comment:

  1. Since I suffer from motion sickness I doubt that I'll ever go on a cruise. I hope you can convince your parents to take one and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete