Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE PATRON SAINT OF LOST CAUSES, DONATION WISE


PHOTO FROM THE 'TIMES COLONIST'

The Vancouver Island Marmot - Canada's Most Endangered Species

`````The topic of donations and charities came up, and people shared which organizations they give to and which they avoid. It's that time of year after all, and as my post above indicates, some unscrupulous groups have been dinged for their conduct.
`````On a regular basis I give to the SPCA, the Friends of the CBC (as the government basically wants to shut them down) and the Marmots. This is where I got the "looks"; a situation with which I am all too familiar.
`````"Aren't they like, big rats?" somebody asked. There was a judgemental tone to the question.
`````Actually...no. Ten years ago, there were only 25 left in the wild and they are Canada's most endangered animal. People are a little more aware of them now, as they were one of our Olympic mascots. There was some irony in this, given the fact that ski hills are one of the biggest threats to their habitat. They also gave the mascots ridiculous names, better suited to "Hello Kitty" stuffed animals. I guess they felt this would appeal to the tourists.
`````It's a good organization, and they don't waste my donation sending me stupid stamps, notebooks, whatever. I'll receive a little flyer at the end of the year, telling me how the little guys are doing and how many were born that year.
`````I've actually warned a lot of groups when I donate that if they ever contact me via a telemarketer, they'll never receive a dime from me again. I'll write that on my donation form. Some people don 't listen very well (are you listening, heart and stroke?) I used to give a regular payment to the political party which I support, although they'll never be elected in the national forum. They are far too liberal. I actually gave them one extra warning when they phoned me---then they did it again. I'll still vote for them, of course, but they won't get any more cash.
`````One thing that truly irks me is how people seem to judge my interest in the marmots and the SPCA. I've noticed this in the comments section of newspapers as well. People seem to feel that a person cannot be concerned with both animals and humans. It's not an exclusive club!
`````I guess I'll be labelled "the nut who donates to save the rats." I'm already the cat lady.

1 comment: