Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A VISIT TO MY PARENTS


`
`````I took a few vacation days off as I am working through the holidays. My mother does not drive and I thought that I would give her a hand with some last minute shopping. Of course, as it turned out, I ended up doing my shopping as well, thanks to the migraine that had messed things up.
`````This was the first time that my mother had a bad diabetic reaction in my presence. While we were in the store I noticed that she seemed to be a bit "off." I suggested that we go and get something to eat. Mom broke into a sweat in the restaurant, and she was a bit disoriented when she spoke. She got better when she ate and took her medication. It is very troublesome, however, as her medication level is high and she is not overweight; there just doesn't seem to be much they can do in controlling the ups and downs in her readings.
`````Dad did not complain, but I could tell that he was in pain. Years of hard physical labour have taken their toll on him. I feel so spoiled at times and I wish that they could enjoy themselves more. They really deserve it.
`````My mother sent me home with traditional home-made "Jul" cookies. I don't need the calories and I hope that I manage to restrict my consumption of them.
`````I got home and discovered that there is going to be trouble. My grey tabby has discovered that the screensaver has a black and white image of a tabby; he has turned it on and off. My computer doesn't need the added stimulus of a deranged feral hitting the keys in search of the cat which resembles himself. I'm going to have to change the image, even though I like it.
`````Speaking of cats, I must be their number one customer or something, as the corner store gave me a gift again this year. It was beautifully wrapped and looks like it might be chocolates. Two years ago it was wine. I think I spend a small fortune picking up kibbles, litter and Diet Pepsi on my way home from work (not to mention the occasional sinful purchase of a National Enquirer when it runs articles on stars caught without make-up). Such is life in a small town; they still note people in such a fashion.
`````I remembered to get some money for the garbage man. I give him a good bonus every Christmas, as he overlooks my extra hefty bags. Our town, as I've blogged before, has a by-law limiting people to two pets per household. My garbage easily betrays the fact that I have more then that---it's almost entirely composed of clumping cat litter. Don't ask, don't tell, right?

1 comment:

  1. What is it with having cats that doubles your garbage output? I have 4-5 bags a week thanks to my little pooping machines.

    Sorry to hear about your parents, aging is a bitch. I'm wishing them better health right now.

    ReplyDelete