Monday, December 6, 2010

CHRISTMAS OVER THERE


THE ARTWORK IS BY CARL LARSON
Image found on the web. My thanks to whoever posted it.
Carl Larson is a famous (deceased) painter who paints scenes of Swedish family life.





This is a very classic Swedish song. It's a tradition which is also followed by those who live on the west coast of Finland and are Swedish speaking. Each December 13, the St Lucia Festival is celebrated. Historically, the eldest girl in the family would get up early and dress in a flowing white gown with a red sash. She would serve her parents coffee and baked goods to go with it. On her head, she would wear a crown of greens with cranberries and seven candles. As it used to align with the calendar's shortest day of the year (before it was changed), it was a way to combat the dark with the light.
Over the years, it became a larger gathering as well. As a child, I recall fondly the parties that would fall on the weekend prior to the 13th of December. I would look on in awe at the girls as they walked down the aisle in their white gowns, gliding slowly to keep the flame burning. The initial ceremony seemed a solemn affair with its beautiful music.
Afterwards, the festivities would begin. There would always be a huge tree in a hall. This tree was never stuck in a corner, as it was meant to be moved around. For you see, this music was traditional "Jul" music. Even when we'd moved back to North America and attended the event at the cultural centre, it still featured the polka-based songs. Being a kid, I loved how fast we whirled around that tree. The adults, even the older ones, had no problems keeping up, as Fin-Swedes can drink. A good time was always had by all.
One thing that really differs from living in Finland is that we had a day which translated to "Little Christmas". There would be a knock on the door and Mom and Dad would encourage us to go and open it. There would be nobody there, but we would see tracks in the snow, of somebody who had left a gift...just a small gift...but one just the same. It would be that event which started the countdown for the holiday.
When I spoke with my mother the other day she told me that my niece would be attending the children's Christmas party and was looking forward to seeing the Lucia girls. There's fewer people around every year to continue the tradition, as our cultural mosaic is changing in the city and sadly, so many of my relatives have died. I'm glad that at least she gets to experience it once.

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. I really hate this one global culture movement. If I ever get to see Europe I want to see people with their cultures intact. I feel like I'm the only who feels this way anymore. Do you ever wish that you're parents never moved you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born here, then we moved back there for a year and a half when I was a kid, then returned to Canada. I visited in the summers as a kid and a teenager. We spoke Swedish at home (at least, my parents did). Some of my cousins who grew up in that small town had to move to get jobs (to Norway and elsewhere) as there wasn't anything in the area. I think a person likes where they are because that's what defines them. I know I've always wanted to travel to Europe, as I love art and historical items. But, Europe has become so influenced by North American culture via the media that it isn't itself anymore either. Everything has become homogenized.

    ReplyDelete