Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A DATE TO COMMENT ON



`````I've always been interested in World War Two and I find it surprising that so many people know little about it. Sometimes, the best way to interest people in a topic is via the arts.
`````December 07, of course, is the date that the United States entered World War Two after an unprovoked attack at Pearl Harbour. While Europe, parts of Africa and Asia, and much of the ocean had been the scene of deadly battles for years, the United States had maintained a stance of neutrality. Everything changed after that Sunday.
`````The movies which were put out by Hollywood during the war were mainly films to boost morale. They had to be approved by a committee before being green-lighted. After the war was over, there were some stunning films to emerge which touched on the aftermath of fitting in with society. "The Best Years of Our Lives" is still a standout, and the scene where the injured soldier arrives home is as gut-wrenching now as it was all those many years ago.
`````H. Wouk wrote two huge best sellers about his time in the armed forces: "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance." These were turned into mini-series about twenty years ago, yet they still stand the test of time. They lack the special effects which audiences have become used to, but the acting makes up for it. Robert Mitchum is certainly a stand-out in both series. There is great historical accuracy. What's extremely disturbing is that much of the filming took place in areas that would soon suffer another outbreak of violence and ethnic cleansing (Yugoslavia).
`````"War and Remembrance" starts off immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbour and continues on through the end of the war. There are some very disturbing images of the death camps. I'm surprised that the television censors allowed these visuals to pass. Both box sets are available at Amazon, and if you're a WW 2 historical buff such as I am, I highly recommend them.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of American history is the during the WWII period. Growing up my mother read anything she could get her hands on about the Holocaust. I think a lot of that is where I get my fascination/hatred of Hitler and Nazi Germany. Two books on my to read list that you may want to check out are The Irregulars (about English celebs spying for the war effort) and 1939: Hitler's Gamble. And thank you for telling me about the Unity Mitford doc. I just watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm glad that the documentary is still posted.

    ReplyDelete